Last updated Feb 12, 2022.
Due to my ever-growing longer waitlist of students wanting to take private lessons with me, I now have some new policies regarding private lessons:
Private lessons are
- $75/hour, or $60/48 minutes, and limited to 1 hour per week.
- A student must be also enrolled in a group lessons at the same time as taking private lessons with me.
- Each student is limited to 16 private lessons per year, spread over 16 weeks. Students should ideally choose two topics from Algebra, Combinatorics, Geometry, and Number theory as their focus for the 16 private lessons.
- My capacity for private lessons are about 3-4 students per week, max.
- If a student wishes to take private lessons for longer than 16 weeks per year, they will need to apply for a spot. Application forms are kept private until after the student has used up their 16 lessons per year, and after I have gone through my current private lesson waitlist for the year. The ideal student should be highly motivated to work on math on their own, and have questions ready for the private lesson each lesson, or at least a topic in mind they want to learn about. I will generally not accept students who do not make good use of their private lesson time or who do not work hard on math each week for any existing extended private lesson spot. An ideal student is one who is highly self-motivated and able to select the topic of each lesson before hand, or have questions ready to ask during the lesson.
My main focus each week is to write new curriculum and teach existing group lessons, so teaching private lessons is very low on my priority list.
If a student does not make good use of their private lesson time, I can use my discretion to discontinue private lessons for that student at any point.
Form for private lesson application:
After filling out the form, you should shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org saying you’ve filled out the form.
If a student does not show up for a private lesson, there will be a no-show fee of $30 charged. I will only wait around 10 minutes after the scheduled time. You should do your best to let me know 24 hours in advance if you must cancel or reschedule a private lesson.